Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Laura Carter starts career as a Behavior Therapist after graduating with a Sociology degree!

 

My name is Laura Carter. I graduated from the University of Massachusetts Lowell with a degree in Sociology in 2013. For the past two years, I have been working as a Behavior Therapist for Beacon ABA Services, Inc. I provide in-home early intervention services to young children who are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I work extensively with these children and their families to help increase personal independence and adaptive skills within the home. During my time with this company, I have been promoted to a Lead Therapist. As a Lead Therapist, I am responsible for the development, implementation and daily oversight of programs for each of my clients.
My experience with the Umass Lowell Sociology Department was nothing short of amazing. The professors went above and beyond to help me succeed and were always there to offer me guidance when I needed it. My advisor helped me explore potential careers and gave me great advice on Graduate programs when I was considering applying. I appreciated the fact that I was able to form close relationships with my peers because of the close-knit sociology community. Also, I really valued the practicum experience I got through the sociology department. I was given the opportunity to work with a newly emerging non-profit organization that offers financial literacy services to low-income women. It opened my eyes to the non-profit world and inspired me to work in a direct service field. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the experiences I had with the sociology program.

No comments:

Post a Comment